Youth (Grades 10-12) Confirmation
(For information regarding Confirmation for Adults out of High School OR if your High School teen still needs Baptism and/or First Communion, please follow this link to our RCIA page.)
The Archdiocese of Atlanta has three primary expectations for reception of Confirmation:
1. The Archdiocese has designated the 10th grade as the earliest ordinary age for Confirmation.
2. Archdiocesan policy expects candidates to complete one-two prior years of foundational religious education. (See Below for specific information)
3. Candidates must enroll in a standalone Confirmation program to be eligible to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. (See Below for how St. John Neumann implements its standalone program)
One-Two Prior Years of Foundational Religious Education
These two years must be completed from 6th grade onward. If a student has only one year prior to their 10th grade year, then they may still enroll in the Standalone Confirmation Program, but they will be expected to attend all Sunday Life Teen events. Qualifying religious education can be attained through:
- Edge (grades 6-8)
- Life Teen (grades 9-12)
- Approved home school program (grades 6+)
- Catholic school (grades 6+)
St. John Neumann must be able to verify attendance with the Church or School if the two years of religious education were not attained through Edge or Life Teen at St. John Neumann. St. John Neumann church will also need to verify attendance at St. John Neumann Regional School.
Standalone Confirmation Program
This program is available to all 10th - 12th grade students who have completed two years of foundational religious education (or one year, but attend all Life Teen Sunday events during their Confirmation year). As part of the standalone Confirmation Program, attendance at the events for the program are expected to be the priority for families and Candidates above all extra-curricular activities. Please communicate these dates to the relevant coaches/teachers/directors as soon as they are made available to you.
Dates and times for these events, if available, will be listed at toward the top of this page:
- Parent Meeting, on a Wednesday, 6:30pm Reynolds Hall
- One of Two options for a week-long summer program at St. John Neumann.
- OPTION A: Friday-Monday during the Summer
- OPTION B: Friday-Monday during the Summer
- The Presentation Mass, on a Sunday, 5pm
- A Sponsor Meeting, held immediately following this Mass
- A "Legacy Class" on Sponsors and Saints, on a Wednesday in the Fall Semester, 6:30pm in Reynolds Hall
- At least one Retreat
- The Fall Retreat, open to all SJNLT, during the Fall Semester
- The Winter Retreat, open only to Confirmation, early in the Spring Semester
- The Confirmation rehearsal, a Friday in early Spring semester, right before Confirmation weekend
- The Confirmation Mass, a Saturday or Sunday in early Spring Semester
In addition to these events, Candidates are expected to remain faithful participants in the Catholic Church. Candidates should:
- Attend Sunday Mass (or Saturday Vigil Mass) each week.
- Receive Reconciliation within a month of Confirmation.
- Complete 5 hours of service from the parent meeting in the Spring through December of the academic year they are Confirmed.
- Select a Confirmation Saint and provide a small research project on the Life of the Saint and why they selected that Saint.
- Work with their Sponsors on a regular basis.
Registration for the Confirmation Program
Registration for Confirmation is conducted through our Religious Education registration process. DATE FOR REGISTRATION TO BE ANNOUNCED.