We offer traditional weekly classes (Parish School of Religion / PSR) with an established curriculum approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), taught by dedicated volunteer Catechists in each grade level, K-5. These classes are designed to support the parents as the primary religious educators of their children. Classes are offered on Wednesday evenings (6:30pm-7:45pm) or Sunday mornings (9:40am-10:50am), from September through May.
Becky Wakim, PSR Coordinator // 770-923-6633 Ext. 117 // Becky.Wakim@sjnlilburn.com
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: In addition to our traditional classes, we are blessed to offer the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd-Level 1 for our 4 and 5 year olds. This special class seeks to immerse the child in scripture and foster encounter with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit through hearing the Word, meditating on the Word and then reenacting the Word with child sized materials. Children also encounter God in the Mass as they explore the actions and objects used in the Mass.
PSR Policies and Procedures
- Attendance is vital to the successful teaching of the faith. Please commit to bringing your child regularly, and on time. Our catechists work very hard to be prepared for your children and to provide a spiritual atmosphere for learning.
- Classroom Discipline will be handled with love and respect for all children. Classroom rules will be created by the children and discussed. Positive behavior will be encouraged through praise and rewards. Children who disturb or endanger others may be sent to the office for a chance to change their behavior. Parents will be notified if problem behavior persists.
- Restrooms are available for the children’s use in the school building. Children will go to the restroom in pairs but are not allowed to be accompanied by any adults.
- Saint John Neumann School is generous in allowing our religious education programs access to the classrooms. We can show our appreciation to them by respecting school property. Children are not allowed to use the classroom materials and should not touch the projects left by school children. Please help us with this by talking to your child about respecting these classrooms.
- A Safe Environment is provided for your children by ensuring that all catechists have had a background check and received training in the Archdiocesan VIRTUS training program. (Children also receive training through a program called “Teaching Touching Safety”). To ensure a safe environment for the children in our program, we also lock the doors to the school after classes have begun and do not allow parents to socialize in the school during class time. We ask that you attend an adult class, visit with others outside of the school hallways, or sample the Knights’ delicious breakfasts!
- If you are bringing your child to class late, you must check in at the office first as the school doors will be locked. Also, please do not leave your child in the classroom unless the Catechist is in the room.
- Parents are to pick up their children from the classroom at the end of class. Please try to be on time as Catechists have families to attend and may be trying to attend the 11:00am Mass on Sunday.