Our Building History

Our beginning was officially June 16, 1977 and the parish name was selected, St. John Neumann, one of the first American saints.

The first Sunday Mass was held July 17, 1977, in the cafeteria of Parkview High School.

In October of 1977, with a group of volunteers the CCD program opened. There were just under 500 students and 30 teachers.

On Thanksgiving Day, 1978, a groundbreaking ceremony and outdoor Mass were celebrated by Pastor Paul H. Reynolds. The road was not paved yet so a shuttle service was available from Knight Elementary School.

The Church was dedicated on December 16, 1979.

Expansion of the worship space announced in December 1985.

The St. John Neumann Regional Catholic School opened in the 1986-87 school year with 160 students.

In February 1986, it was announced that there would be an expansion of the parking lot area with a solid base put down for the future construction of a gymnasium for the new regional school.

The “house down the road” opened as the Neumann Center in September 1987 to hold the Mother’s Morning Out Program and other parish activities.

Mass in Spanish - 1991 weekly mass in Spanish began and has expanded to 4 masses each weekend until 2011.

On Sunday, November 1, 1992, the SJN Parish Mission of St. Marguerite d’ Youville celebrated its first Mass.

On December 26, 2000 the SJN Parish Mission of St. Stephen celebrated its dedication Mass.

April 30, 2001, continued growth in the parish led the Pastoral Council to evaluate the need for additional space.

In 2004, Capital Campaign began for new construction.

About The Saint

Saint John Neumann was born in 1811 in Bohemia of a German father and a Czech mother. John had a special interest in botany and astronomy and spoke seven languages.

John Neumann's ordination was delayed by the Austrian government so he began work with the North American mission in New York in 1836. After being ordained he was sent to minister to the German speaking immigrants who were clearing the forests by Niagara Falls. John was a traveling missionary on the East Coast, then a parish priest in Baltimore. He was consecrated Bishop of Philadelphia in 1852 and was responsible for the building of 100 churches and 80 schools.

John Neumann died in Philadelphia at the age of 49 in 1860. He was declared a Saint of the Church in 1977 and his feast day is Jan. 5th.